Tenant Frequently Asked Questions

  • Q: Why should I rent my next apartment from Triangle Flats?

    A: We are a professional, knowledgeable, and courteous property management company. We work very hard to provide the highest quality resident services you’ll ever experience. We use professional vendors (painters, electricians, plumbers, carpet cleaners, etc.), to ensure that your unit is in good condition.
  • Q: What do you look for in a new tenant?

    A: We expect tenants to be respectful of the property they are leasing, responsible in keeping the property in good condition, and prompt in their rental payments.
  • Q: Is there an income standard for rental units?

    A: In order to qualify, without a guarantor, prospective tenants must make a monthly net income of no less than 2.5 times the monthly rent. For example, if the monthly rent is $1,000 each applicant must make at least $2,500 (2.5 X $1,000). In addition, each applicant must also have a stable employment history. If each applicant does not meet these requirements, a guarantor or extra security may be used in lieu of them. Please call for the minimum requirements to rent a specific property.
  • Q: Do you perform background checks and pull credit reports?

    A: We always conduct thorough background checks on applicants to ensure that the people who rent our properties can meet these expectations. We use the Experian system to check applicants' local and national rental and credit histories, and we verify your employment history and income. We also follow up references with past and present landlords to confirm a history of timely rent payments and proper maintenance of the property.
    Our application process complies with all local, state, and federal regulations governing rental agreements as well as with the current best practices of the property management profession. We strictly abide by the Landlord Tenant Code and follow all Fair Housing (HUD) Guidelines.
  • Q: What do I need to apply for a lease?

    A: Use our online application form to apply for a lease on the property on the Available Listings page. Please be prepared to provide contact information for all employers and landlords for the past 4 years. All persons 18 years of age or older who will occupy the unit must complete an application. The application fee is $20.00 per adult. Our automated screening process guarantees you a quick response, and our friendly agents are ready to help you make a smooth transition into your new home.
  • Q: When is Rent Due?

    A: Your rent is ALWAYS due on the first day of the month. Your rent is late as of midnight on the first, but we give you a grace period until the 5th. If your rent is not received in our office by 5:00pm on the 5th day of the month then your account will automatically be charged a late fee of 6% (unless your property has a flat fee of $75.00). This late fee amount is due with your rent payment.
  • Q: You have a property I want to rent. How do I apply?

    A: For the security of tenants and staff, Cash is NOT ACCEPTED.
    • eCheck (Free) / Credit Card (Convenience Fee) - You can login to our website powerpropertymanagement.com and click on RESIDENT LOGIN and pay online as well as view your account balance. See attached Rental Payment sheet for more details.
    • You can mail/drop off your rent in to our office and put your address/unit # on the memo of your money order or check.
    • Electronic Cash Payments - We can provide you a reusable payslip you take to 7-Eleven or Ace Cash Express to pay rent in cash. Pay up to $1,500 in cash for a $3.99 transaction fee.
  • Q: How much grace period is given before late rent charges?

    A: We provide a 5 days grace period and a 5% late fee is due if rent is paid after the 6th of the month.
  • Q: I am an excellent tenant. Can you waive my late charges?

    A: No. We do not waive late charges. Fair Housing laws require that we treat all our residents equally. We cannot decide if one resident is more deserving than another of paying late charges, therefore we enforce late charges across the board.
  • Q: What should I do if I cannot pay my rent on time?

    A: Contact our office IMMEDIATELY by calling our office at (919) 998-6579. Failure to communicate with our office can and will typically cause you to be forwarded to the attorney’s office for legal proceedings.
  • Q: Do I need renter insurance?

    A: It is required that all residents carry renters insurance to cover themselves and their personal property. Refer to your lease or consult with your insurance agent for specific details.
  • Q: What am I responsible for in the unit?

    A: Tenants are responsible for changing air filters monthly. If malfunction or repairs to any part of a HVAC system are reported as a result of dirty air filters, the tenant will be responsible for the repair and replacement costs. Tenant must replace smoke detector and CO detector batteries as needed. If the detector is not operational, the tenant must notify us to obtain a replacement. Light bulbs that are easily accessible are also the tenant’s responsibility. Yard maintenance may also be required. Please refer to your lease for a complete list.
  • Q: How do I report a repair or maintenance problem?

    • Email a "Maintenance Request" to contact@TriangleFlats.com
    • Call (919) 998-6579
    • Login to Tenant Portal
    Although we prefer email/web requests. If you have an after-hours emergency, please call, and you will be connected with an after-hours person who can dispatch a vendor. This is for PROPERTY THREATENING EMERGENCIES ONLY, not regular maintenance calls. Please call rather than repairing a maintenance problem yourself, as, except for specific circumstances provided for by law, you will not be allowed to deduct costs of repair from your rent. If there is a problem, which was caused by you or your guests, such as an inappropriate item flushed down the toilet, you will be charged for the repair.
  • Q: What is considered an emergency?

    A: An emergency is defined as a maintenance problem that will cause a safety hazard to residents, or an imminent damage to property, so that fixing it cannot wait until the next business day. A few examples would be an overflowing toilet, a broken pipe, or sudden electrical short. If there is a gas leak, call the gas company in your area first, and if there is a power outage, contact the electric company in your area first to see if there is a general power outage in the area (links to the gas and electric company websites can be found in our online directory).
  • Q: Will I be notified when a repair person is coming to my home?

    A: We will give you a 24 hour notice to enter, unless you agree to allow the vendor to enter your home on an as-available basis. There is no requirement for you to be present, but you must provide access to your home, with proper notice, for purposes of repairs. There is no requirement for our giving you notice if there is a suspected emergency, such as a burst pipe.
  • Q: Can I stop paying rent until a repair is made?

    A: NO. If the Landlord fails to repair a condition that materially affects the physical health or safety of an ordinary tenant as required by this lease, please contact your local authority or consult an attorney. Failure to strictly follow the procedures in the applicable sections of the Lease and Landlord/Tenant code will cause Tenants to be in default of the lease agreement and tenants can be evicted for wrongfully withholding rent.
  • Q: Who is responsible to take care of the lawn?

    A: For apartments, townhouse, condominiums and other attached multi unit properties, lawn care is INCLUDED in the rent. For all other types of properties, unless otherwise stated in your lease it is your responsibility to take care of the lawn, which includes watering it on a regular basis. If you let the grass die, you may be responsible to re sod the yard.
  • Q: When I move out, how can I get my security deposit back?

    A: Triangle Flats conducts thoroughly documented move-in and move out inspections. We maintain the highest standards for the cleanliness and upkeep of the properties we rent. Our move-in inspection makes sure you are not held responsible for pre-existing issues; our move-out inspection holds you responsible for the condition of the unit when you vacate it. You will receive a copy of our Checkout Cleaning Guidelines when you sign your lease or you can download it here. Any damages caused by excessive wear and tear on the property can be charged to the tenant.
  • Q: Can I use my security deposit for my last month of rent?

    A: Security deposits are not to be used instead of payment of rent, since the purpose of a security deposit is to pay for any damage caused by the tenant or their guests. If you do not pay any rent, including the last month you are in the unit, you will be subject to eviction proceedings. You are entitled to an accounting of your security deposit as well as the appropriate refund, within 21 days of your moving out of the unit.
  • Q: When will I receive my Security Deposit?

    A: Per North Carolina General Statutes Tenant Security Deposit Act § 42-52, we are allowed up to 30 days after the termination of the tenancy and delivery of possession to refund the Security Deposit and/or provide an itemized statement of deductions.
    We don’t issue the security deposit back immediately, because a lot of possible damage is not discernible during the initial inspection. Just a few examples are fleas that haven’t hatched yet, carpet stains that were scrubbed invisible before the walk-though but re-appear later, dirty A/C filters the HVAC guy found sucked up into the air intake cavity, pet or cigarette smoking odors that are masked during inspection and return in a few of days, and a long list of other possibilities.
    Therefore, even if we wanted to, even if the place appeared to be in remarkable condition with no visible problems, we still hold the funds until it has reached near the 30 day period. If the claim against the deposit can’t be finalized within that time (for example, if necessary repairs haven’t been completed), we are permitted to send an interim accounting at the 30-day point and then a final accounting within 60 days. Please be sure to provide us with a forwarding address.
  • Q: I lost my keys, how can I get into my unit?

    A: You can call a locksmith at your own expense or can call the office during business hours to pick up a spare at an extra charge.
  • Q: My roommate wants to move out, but I want to stay. What should I do?

    A: This is a very common situation and there are 2 ways to address it.
    1. You can replace your current roommate with a new one: This new roommate will need to fill out a complete application, send in their most recent month of pay stubs and 2 forms of ID to be screened. In the case they are approved a change is made.
    2. You want to keep the unit by yourself: You will need to send in your most recent month of paystubs showing that you can afford that unit by yourself. If approved then your roommate will be removed from the lease. In both cases the security deposit is handling between the roommates as the office won’t release any deposit unless all roommates move out.
  • Q: My neighbor plays loud music late at night. What do you suggest I do?

    A: Playing loud music late at night violates the House Rules. As a first step, if your neighbor is violating House Rules, we always suggest first talking to your neighbor in a friendly tone of voice. For instance, you may want to let him/her know that they may be unaware of the fact that it is late at night, their music can be heard in your unit, and is preventing you from sleeping. If you have already tried this, and the behavior continues, please inform Management, and PPM will contact the tenant. If the behavior continues even after PPM has made a direct request to your neighbor, please inform PPM, and further steps may need to be taken. If there is a loud party late at night and you feel you have no choice, by all means contact the Police Department.
  • Q: I want to change the color of the paint in a room, and make other changes to the unit. May I?

    A: No, all changes to the unit must be performed by Triangle Flats. As part of the lease agreement, renovations made by a tenant are only permissible with written approval by PPM. You may, of course, hang paintings of your choice on the wall, provided you repair the holes upon vacating the unit. This rule against renovation without permission applies to all renovations, including changing your carpeting or other flooring, installation of built in appliances, etc. Please do not affix a satellite dish or other antenna to the roof, without acquiring permission first, as you will be charged for any damages to the roofing.
  • Q: Can I change the locks, add security devices?

    A: No! You cannot change the locks yourself. Re-keying the property without our permission is a serious lease violation and against the law. Tenants are specifically forbidden from locking out the landlord and the Courts & Judges are not sympathetic to tenants who lock out the landlord.
    All notices or requests by Tenant for rekeying, changing, installing, repairing, or replacing security devices must be in writing. Installation of additional security devices or additional rekeying or replacement of security devices desired by Tenant will be paid by the Tenant in advance and must be installed only by contractors authorized by our office.
  • Q: I would like to have a party at the property. May I use the common area?

    A: Any guests you invite should remain in your unit, and not congregate in common areas, including the pool or parking area. They should not be loitering anywhere around the building, and House Rules should be observed in regard to noise. If your guests damage your unit in any way, you will be held responsible. If your building has a security gate, you may not prop it open to allow guests to enter, as this compromises the security of other residents. Garage or yard sales, which typically cause obstruction of walkways, debris, and generally cause a nuisance, are not permitted.
  • Q: Someone is parked in my parking space. What should I do?

    A: =Leave a kind note to your neighbor letting them know. If the car is not moved within an allowable time then call the office during business hours for help.
  • Q: Someone broke into my unit or car. What steps should I take?

    A: Call the Police (919) 555-1234. Make a police report; second, call the office and report any damage to the building so it can be fixed, provide a copy of the police report to the office; third, call your renters’ insurance policy and file your claim.
  • Q: Can I get a pet?

    A: Pet allowances depend upon the wishes of the owner and on the policies of condominium and building associations. Most of our units are not pet friendly so your first step will be to call the office and find out if the building is pet friendly. The office will inform you right away if this is possible or not.
  • Q: Are there Pet Restrictions?

    A: Only the pet listed on the Pet Addendum is authorized. Other pets are never allowed at the property for any length of time; including, but not limited to, “No Pet Sitting”. Unauthorized pets are considered a violation, and may lead to fees or possibly eviction. Before getting a pet, please contact us for landlord approval.
    • Based on insurance company tables, restricted dog breeds include Akita, Alaskan Malamute, Boxer, Bullmastiff, Chow, Dalmatian, Doberman, English Bull Terrier, Eskimo Spitz, German Shepherd, Giant Schnauzer, Great Dane, Husky, Pit Bull, Presa Canario, Rottweiler, Saint Bernard, Shar Pei, Staffordshire Terrier, and Wolf Hybrids and mixes of these breeds are not permitted.
    • Similarly, any animal with a bite history or aggressive nature or similar offense is restricted. Restricted pet types include rabbits, ferrets, lizards, iguanas, snakes, reptiles, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, rats and exotic pets of any kind.
    • Assistance animals are in a different legal classification than pets who are not assistance animals.
  • Q: How long can my guests stay?

    A: According to your lease, your guests can stay for 7 days. If you wish to have a guest stay for longer than 7 days, you must have approval from the office.
  • Q: I want to add a person to the lease. What do I do?

    A: You should contact the office and the new occupant will need to fill out an application and send in 2 forms of ID and their most recent month of pay stubs once approved then they will be added to the lease.
  • Q: I want to extend my lease. Who do I talk to?

    A: About six weeks prior to your lease end date, we will conduct a routine walk-through inspection of your property. If you are a tenant in good standing—that is, if you have paid the rent on time, followed all house rules, and kept the property neat and clean—then we will extend your lease for another six months to one year. In most cases, the only reason a good tenant may have to vacate is if the owner either moves back into the unit or places it on the market for sale.
  • Q: Does my lease automatically renew?

    A: Yes. If you do not answer our attempt at renewal of the lease your lease automatically renews on a month to month basis at the higher rate posted in the renewal notice.
  • Q: When I renew my lease, does the rent increase automatically?

    A: No, we do not automatically raise the rent. It may be necessary to raise the rent somewhat in accordance with the rental market and or at the request of the property owner.
  • Q: I have a new job, and need to break the lease. What do I do?

    A: It’s a one year lease you are responsible for the duration of the lease. Your first step is to inform the office; we’ll start advertising your unit to try to get a suitable replacement. Once we find a tenant you will be responsible for the rent of the unit until the date the new tenant moves in and of the entire administrative fee incur in the rental of the unit.